Normanring
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment :
Xiaomi Mi Smart Camera 2K Standard Edition (design ...
Voir le deal
11.39 €

Normande en Angleterre

3 participants

Normande en Angleterre Empty Normande en Angleterre

Message par Normandie 2.0 Ven 25 Avr - 19:08

All of these Norman buildings are within 30 minutes of my house in Gloucestershire.  There are hundreds of others, although most of them are in ruins since the Anarchy (Matilda vs Stephen of Blois) ... or since the English Civil War (1645-1646).  Stephen was held captive in Gloucester Castle (Motte and baily 1066 replaced by stone castle 1112. ... but it has since been demolished by barbarian bureaucrats and town planners.  Most of it is underneath a disused car park. Worth mentioning that William I was in residence at Gloucester Castle when he commissioned the Domesday Book ... a copy of which was kept at St. Peter's Abbey).

All the medieval kings of England spent time at these properties, as did Empress Matilda and Eleanor of Acquitaine ... Robert Curthose (eldest son of William the Conqueror) and Edward II (seventh Plantagenet king of England) are both buried here in Gloucester Cathedral. Richard, Duke of Gloucester later became Richard III.

Pic 1: Chepstow Castle - ruins/open to public - Building started under William FitzOsbern in 1067, Great Tower completed circa-1090)
Pic 2: Gloucester Cathedral (formerly St. Peter's Abbey) - still in use/open to public - foundations of the present church were laid by Abbot Serlo, 1072
Pic 3: Goodrich Castle - ruins/open to public - in existence in 1086 and extensively developed from 1120 and 1176
Pic 4: St. Briavel's Castle - still in use / open to public -  originally built between 1075 and 1129
Pic 5: Tewkesbury Abbey - still in use / open to public - land given to Robert fitzhamon, cousin of William the Conqueror In 1087.  Abbey founded in 1092, present building began in 1102 (employing Caen stone imported from Normandy)
Pic 6: Tintern Abbey - ruins/open to public - Cistercian.  Founded by Walter de Clare, Lord of Chepstow, on 9 May 1131

Normande en Angleterre Chepst11 Normande en Angleterre Glosca10

Normande en Angleterre Goodri10 Normande en Angleterre St_bri10

Normande en Angleterre Tewkes10  Normande en Angleterre Tinter10

Dernière édition par Normandie 2.0 le Ven 25 Avr - 19:50, édité 1 fois (Raison : typographical error)
Normandie 2.0
Normandie 2.0

https://www.facebook.com/RenaissanceNormande

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Normande en Angleterre Empty Re: Normande en Angleterre

Message par Normandie 2.0 Lun 4 Aoû - 11:42

I will be in Normandie from 17th August to 27th August. I will not be able to log on to this forum but I will post up my locations on the facebook page

Will be at Jumierge circa 18th, and at chateau gaillard circa 19th ... then will in in Perche for a few days .. will be at Arville Commanderie circa 23rd/24th.
Normandie 2.0
Normandie 2.0

Message par LORD Mar 5 Aoû - 12:04

Where did you arrive? By the ferry or...?
LORD
LORD

http://mytrojanspace.musicblog.fr

Message par Normandie 2.0 Mar 5 Aoû - 15:07

LORD a écrit:Where did you arrive? By the ferry or...?

Arriving at Calais on the morning of 17th and driving down to Jumierge (camp site).

Mostly we are visiting Eure region - but may spend a few days on the borders of Orne, and Calvados.
Normandie 2.0
Normandie 2.0

Message par Normandie 2.0 Sam 9 Aoû - 15:12

Normandie 2.0 a écrit:

Arriving at Calais on the morning of 17th and driving down to Jumierge (camp site).

Mostly we are visiting Eure region - but may spend a few days on the borders of Orne, and Calvados.

Disaster. Vacation postponed .. problems with car Sad
Normandie 2.0
Normandie 2.0

Message par Normand-Quebecois Dim 10 Aoû - 5:17

Normandie 2.0 a écrit:
Normandie 2.0 a écrit:

Disaster. Vacation postponed .. problems with car Sad

One of the Murphy's laws: "If anything can go wrong, it will at the most inopportune time." It's better having this kind of trouble before going, than having it while in vacation far from home. It worths the waiting, I think.

In order to have great vacations , It's better to have everything fixed and well done before, Normandy can wait a little and will always be there for you my friend..

Anyway, have a nice day  Wink
Normand-Quebecois
Normand-Quebecois

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé